Let’s see what interesting numbers there are this week about online advertising:
- Programmatic/display is the media type most vulnerable to brand risk.
- US adults spent 7:50 hours/day online, up 15% from 2019.
- Social commerce in the US should be $36.09 billion in 2020, up 34.8% and accounting for 4.3% of all ecommerce sales.
- “In 2020, UK programmatic direct ad spending totaled £4.55 billion ($5.81 billion), up £0.48 billion ($0.62 billion) year over year. PMP ad spending in the UK grew by £0.12 billion ($0.15 billion) in 2020 to £1.15 billion ($1.47 billion).”
- Engineers are most likely to complete a form for a white paper online (44%).
- US viewers watched 23 hours/month of Youtube, followed by 5.7 hours/month for Netflix.
- Digital represents 40% of professional services user acquisition, up from 33% in 2019. Also, professional services’ firms % of revenue dedicated to marketing went up from 8% to 15% over the same time.
- SpotX acquired by Magnite for $1.17 billion.
- Alcohol is the only major retail sector that spends more on TV advertising than digital advertising (44% vs 30% of spend).
Morgan Friedman has been building and running Display campaigns on top of GDN Network of Adwords, err, he means "Google Ads," for almost 15 years. Friedman is, by nature, an obsessive optimizer, and has been A/B testing every obscure option, configuration, strategy, and tactic on Display Ads. Oh and search ads, as well as figuring out how to grow companies and politicians from just the seed to hundreds of thousands of users, or voters, as well. His favorite number is eleven. He enjoys writing about Managed Placements.